Focus on prevention of discrimination and equal opportunity in the workplace and not on litigation
On February 4, 2020, EEOC Chair Janet Dhillon released her list of 2020 priorities. The agency's primary focus remains preventing unlawful employment discrimination, and advancing equal opportunity in the workplace. However, the focus on litigation has been identified as "truly a last resort and not an appropriate substitute for rule-making or legislation."
List of priorities:
1. Continuing to provide excellent customer service and to be responsive to employees who raise claims of discrimination. Commitment to handling claims promptly and fairly by implementing existing procedures to manage active workloads and reduce inventory.
2. Continuing to provide robust compliance assistance to prevent discrimination in the workplace. Provide high-quality education, guidance, technical assistance documents, and outreach. Build strong partnerships with employer and advocacy groups.
3. Enhancing our efforts to reach vulnerable workers by re-examining efforts to ensure that Agency is identifying, reaching, and servicing vulnerable workers.
4. Strategically allocating Commission resources to:
- Continue to build a successful mediation program
- Renew commitment to effective conciliation efforts
- Conduct litigation, as a last resort, to the highest ethical standards
- Partner with other government agencies to enhance common interests
5. Continuing EEOC's effort to be a model workplace by having a productive, inclusive, and diverse workforce.